Water Needs for the Annual Rainbow Gathering
Each year, for the National
we must amass mile of pipe, thousands of dollars in filters and other
water supplies to bring the family fresh water. For the last several
years this responsibility has fallen on a few notable people, including
myself. We are getting older now and wish to teach and pass this
knowledge and responsibility on to others. It has been way to much work
for us over the years and it is now time to play and enjoy the
gathering. The best way to do this is for each of us to take some
responsibility and bring some supplies for ourselves. If each kitchen
can put together a kit, if each of us can make a few good filters the
responsibility will be disbursed and not over bearing on any one
With recent changes the old pipe is worn out and needs to be replaced.
Also much was stolen in a 2007 theft of a trailer with many thousands
of dollars of water supplies in it. In addition prices for pipe
have almost tippled in the last few years. This means that it is our
responsibility to bring equipment and raise funds.
Traditionally this has been divided with my team focusing on filters
(the end of the pipe) and another team focusing on the pipe. Money
to filters this year will mostly be used for pipe as the filters are
almost caught up and we stocked up extra last year.
So what will it take this year to provide clean water for the family?
We need people and kitchens to bring supplies or donate money to purchase supplies.
A list of supplies is given later in this page.
If you want to donate $$$ you can do it here.
or by passing out this link http://tinyurl.com/cqdky
We are asking all kitchens that want to be connected to the main water line to bring the following items.
(pictures are shown further down in this document)
These items in total should not cost more than $100-$150.
Please help get this word out to all kitchens. If each kitchen brings a little it helps us all.
- 1-3 rolls (usually 300-400') of NSF rated 3/4" black poly pipe.
- 1 or more 3/4" plastic barbed T
- 2-3 3/4" plastic barbed couplings
- 1 or more spigots with 1/2" NPT male pipe threads
- 1 or more 1/2" Female NPT threads to 3/4" barbed insert
- 6-12 1 1/4" hose clamps
we need 3-5 miles of pipe. Regarding donations: In short we
are looking for about $2000-3000 for pipe and $750-$1500 for filters
each year. The new Katadynes will be set up as simple stand alone
systems for larger kitchens. They will connect via a
garden hose adapter and empty into a large barrel.
Supplies you can bring to help this year:
This works each year because of trust in Rainbow Magic (That's YOU the reader).
You can drop off supplies at Info or CALM with note to Hawker or the Water Crew and I am sure they will get to us.
I can always use spare parts and extra supplies.
The items I need the most this year are:
- 3/4" black poly NSF rated pipe>
- 3/4 barbed "parts" including couplings, Ts, Adapters etc
- hose clamps
- faucet adapters
- Garden Hose and garden hose accessories (Ys, couplings, fittings etc>
- Water collection items such as 55g barrels and other
food grade containers from 5-500g. Barrels are available from local
Cocca Cola plants
Other items that are always helpful if you wish to help include:
- Bring Potable Water Collection devices.
55g plastic barrels available from soda bottling plants and large
water containers are also available.
UpdateFeather in Atlanta has obtained 4 175gallon tanks. They are near Atlanta and
need to be brought up to either Asheville or the gathering site by about the 24th or so. They are on a
trailer so all we need is someone who can toe them. If you can do this please contact me or Feather.
- Bring “Igloo” type water coolers to dispense water.
- Katadyn #4 (1040) or #5 (preferred) filters
- 0.5 - 5 micron home water filters (1-3 micron carbon preferred)
Such as the Omni CB1 and TO1
- Home house filter housings such as the Omni Filter OB1
SCD-40 adapters, fittings and couplings for SCD-40 pipe from 3/4 ” to
1.5”. This included all types of
adapters to thread, pipe, T, reducers, caps, spigots etc.
Grade (NSF Rated) “Black Irrigation” pipe from 1/2 ” to 1.5” and all manner of barbed
adapters to threads, Ts, Couplings etc.
- Brass Faucets and adapters to various types of pipe.
- Anything that adapts to 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 3/4 or 1" NPT and 3/8 or 1/2" hose
- Hose Clamps, All sizes from #4 on up. Especially #6 and #20 hose clamps
- In line pressure regulators and pressure gauges.
- Food Grade RV (Garden) Hose and Garden Hose accessories (Ys etc).
- High Pressure 1/4", 3/8 & 1/2" ID Plastic food grade tubing.
- Colder Products APC Series Quick Disconnects – see below for part numbers.
- 1/4" - 1/2" NPT and Hose Barb ends
- Rope, Tarps, Sign makers and people to put this together.
- The large filters banks are made from and All American Pressure Cooker Model
921 available from http://www.pressurecooker-outlet.com/921.htm
ideas and designs
- Your help hooking this monstrosity up and keeping the site staffed and running
Some years we don't have enough pressure and we have to pump water instead of gravity. Michigan
was the last time this happened. If this happens again we need to make a pump station.
Hopefully we don't have to do this again this year, but you never know
Things I need for the Pump Station
size (2-7)GPM 12VDC Pumps (ShurFlow 2088 and 4000 series). The preferred pump is a Shurflow model
# 804-009-01 (About $350) but we have also used the Shurflow 2088-443-144 with an external well pump accumulator.
- Well pump style pressure switch, single pole 15Amp, capable of on at around 15psi and off at around 40PSI.
- 10g fine stranded wire.
- 55g food grade barrels.
- 2x4s and lag bolts to make a jack to support the barrel.
- small (prefer Shurflow since it mounts to pumps) Accumulator tanks
- Solar Panels 50-120W. Prefer Unisolar US-64 unbreakable panels.
- Deep Cycle batteries (50-120AH or more. Trojan T-105s preferred).
- Solar Charge Controllers with Low voltage shut off (4-15amp charge and 15-30a load)
- NPT to Hose thread Adapter fittings
- Food Grade RV (Garden) Hose.
- Sand Points
- Faucet Adapters.
- A small-compact bicycle pump and pressure gauge (for Accumulator tank).
I'm sure there is much that I have forgotten, so if you have questions or ideas please contact me.
Now Quit-yer-bitchin and come together to pray and heal the
family on the land soon!
I love you all and will see you soon!
Each kitchen should come prepared to bring supplies need to hook there kitchen to the main waterline. These items include:
3/4" Black Polyethylene Pipe Iron Pipe Size. Usually comes in 400 foot rolls.|
Must Be NSF rated.
Pipe of 100PSI or less tends to Kink, Pipe of over 160PSI is to hard to work with.
Pipe Coupling. |
US Plastic #24402 for 3/4", 24403 for 1" and 24401 for 1/2"
US Plastic #24098 for 3/4", 24099 for 1" 24097 for 1/2"
|Hose Clamps. Once needed for each pipe connection|
|NPT yo hose barb for connecting facet|
|1/2 NPT Facet|
|Other Helpful items|
US Plastic Part numbers 3/4" to 1/2" 24209, 1" to 3/4" 24210
|Reducer Adapters from 1" to 3/4" and 3/4" to 1/2"|
|Thread adapters to NPT threads from 3/4" to 1/2" Both male and female handy.|
|Colder Quick Disconnect fittings.|
Colder Products APC Series Quick Disconnects.
Note Number on Left is P# in one CPC catalog, next number is
same P# in other CPC catalog, not sure which one is correct.
Price listed is retail price from 2003.
1/4 npt 49200 apc10004 $2.10/ea 25bg 10% 3/8 npt 44400 apc10006 $2.10/ea 25bg
1/4 npt 42300 apc24004 $0.70
3/8 npt 42500 apc24006 $1.56
1/4 BARB 40900 apc22004 $0.70 25bg
3/8 BARB 41000 apc22006 $0.70 25bg
1/4 RA BARB 46200
3/8 BARB 44700